Synthetic or Human Hair? Everything You Need to Know Before Buying a Wig
Ancient Egyptians are said to have invented the wig prior to the 1600s. It really does not matter who made them first; I’m just happy that the wig was made! Every woman/person who knows the heartache of a bad hair day appreciates the value of a good wig. Indeed, wigs have found new meaning in the 21st century. They are trendy and help all manner of people achieve the desired look conveniently. Wigs also help people maintain their natural hair better. Constant heat treatment and styling of natural hair is detrimental. As a wig lover and wearer, I salute the evolution and prominence of this pivotal beauty item. When looking to buy a wig online, you do not have the privilege to touch and feel it. To this end, knowing how to judge the quality and style is crucial to making an informed decision. This comprehensive resource gives you the tools you need to order the most suitable wig that meets your needs.
What exactly is a wig?
According to an online dictionary, a wig is a covering made using real or artificial hair. The definition goes ahead to state that wigs are mainly worn by judges and barristers in courts of law or by people who are trying to hide a bald head. In the current day, wigs are popularly worn by women as a fashion statement. With hair or without, many people will wear stylish wigs in a bid to look updated and neat. Wigs also have cultural meanings where celebrities create their brand and persona around certain wig-enhanced looks.
Types of wigs available in the market
Wigs are made using synthetic hair, human hair or a mixture of human and animal hair. Sheep, agora rabbits and horses are some of the most common sources of animal hair used to make wigs.
Wigs made using synthetic hair
Synthetic wigs are made using man-made hair. Some of the most common materials used to make them include nylon and acrylic fibers. Synthetic hair technology has really improved making some of the best looking wigs in the market synthetic. In fact, some man-made hair wigs cannot be differentiated from human or natural hair wigs. There are many merits of choosing a synthetic wig as highlighted below;
– Good quality ones look very real and natural
– They are more affordable compared to natural hair or human hair wigs
– Synthetic options will not have the problem of tangling, this is common in human hair kinds
– These wigs will retain their styling even after washing
– You can choose a variety of styles and designs from the market as you desire
– Overall, they are easy to maintain
– Synthetic wigs come pre styled and you cannot manipulate or change the style as you wish
– Synthetic wigs have a shorter life of not more than 6 months – this will however depend on the brand
Wigs made using human hair
Human hair wigs give you the comfort of knowing that you are indeed wearing real hair. As alluded to above, the human hair can be mixed with real animal hair to form a hybrid. This type of wig comes with a set of pros and cons as given below;
– Styling can be done to your pleasure. You can color, perm and style just like your real hair. Therefore, you need a good stylist to keep your human hair wig looking great
– Because of the texture versatility, you can get a wig that is very close to the texture of your natural hair
– These wigs will often last longer than their synthetic counterparts. A person who is wearing such a wig daily can enjoy a year-long service or longer
– These wigs look and feel natural and this can enhance your overall outlook and confidence
– They are often more expensive
– Maintaining them can prove even more expensive just like the maintenance of your real hair
– The wigs and styling therein cannot withstand the elements and will certainly react by becoming dry and entangled
– They fade faster and are more fragile to heat and styling tools
– Styling them will need work and time – also, they tend to be heavier than synthetic wigs
How do you choose the best type of wig to buy?
When it comes to wigs, there is no one size or type that fits all. You buy what is tailored to your needs. The following factors will determine whether you buy a human hair wig or a synthetic hair wig. Keep in mind that there are synthetic hair wigs that are heat friendly.
1. How much are you willing to spend?
If you are a penny-pincher, then, synthetic wigs are made for you. They are not just more affordable but they also come in great quality and look very natural. If you do not mind digging deeper into your pocket, you can choose a human hair wig.
2. What are your hair style preferences?
If you are the kind of person who thrives by changing their hair look every other day, you need versatile wigs that can be styled to your liking. In this regard, human hair wigs are flexible and can be colored, heat-styled and permed to attain the look you want. If you choose heat friendly synthetic wigs, this is a good option; however, they only last not more than 4 months due to the styling.
3. Do you wear the wig daily?
Wearing a wig daily will expose it to the elements no matter the type. Therefore, you need a wig that lasts longer and is more durable. To this end, a human hair wig may really help you. You can wear one for up to a year. You can also choose synthetic wigs that are more pocket friendly. Investing in two or three may help you extend the life of each wig. This can also give you style options to break the monotony.
A guide to buy a wig that fits perfectly
Once you have a general idea of the type of wig you want, it is now time to look into the details. Factors like head size, cap type, color and style will come into play.
– How to determine your head size for the perfect wig fit
Wigs must fit perfectly and just like your clothes and deer hunting hoodie , you have to know your size. In general, there are three wig sizes which are; petite, average and large. Most women fall under the average head cap. To this end, the market is full of more style options in this respect. The next popular category of wig sizes is petite where women wear smaller cap wigs. Few women wear the large cap size. Using a measuring tape, get the circumference of your head from the forehead and around your hairline. You can also use a flexible cloth to determine the measurement. If your head circumference results are 20.5 to 21.5 inches, you are a petite cap size. 21.5 to 22.5 inches will indicate an average head cap or size. The large cap falls between 22.5 and 23.5 inches. Many wigs come with adjustment straps to help you optimize the fit accordingly.
– Consider the cap type for the ideal wig
Cap types play a role in enhancing the look and feel of the wig overall. There are four basic types as stated below;
1. Classic capless wigs – They are capless and allow hair to breath better. They feature weft rows of hair sewn together.
2. Monofilamnet cap wigs – Hairs are placed on a transparent mesh cap individually. This gives a superior natural look. They are more expensive than classic wigs.
3. Hand tied cap wigs – This is a monofilament cap wig upgrade. It features a hand tied construction where hair is won on a lace fabric for an even better natural look.
4. Lace front cap wigs – With lace fronts, all the above wig types can be enhanced. Hair is sown on very fine lace around the hairline. This way, your wig can be pulled back to achieve a very natural look.
– Choose your preferred wig style
Short, chin length, medium length and long hairstyles, there are all manner of wig styles to choose from. Get creative and choose what you fancy most. After choosing the desired style, consider the colors available for the particular piece. Again, this is a chance to do what works for you. Some styling experts may recommend certain colors and wig styles for your head but in actual sense, you should use your personal taste to get what you desire most. If you prefer an expert opinion on head shapes and best styling practices, the following guide is for you.
How to select the ideal wig for your face shape
There are seven major face shapes. All people will have unique shapes but these are the general shapes that will help you choose the most flattering wig.
1. Oval face shape
This is a longer looking face with a narrow jaw compared to the cheekbones. Most elements of the shape are proportional. To this end, this shape can accommodate all manner of wig and hair styles.
2. Round face shape
The features of this face include a round hairline and a round chin. The widest part of the face will tend to be the cheeks and ears. The best styles for this face shape includes back swept short wigs or those that are slightly longer than chin length. Adding both fullness and height at the crown is the key to getting a great look.
3. Square face shape
This face features a very strong square jawline and a square hairline. Wavy wigs that add softens and roundness fit very well with this face shape. Layers are great while adding height at the crown. Curls and waves will add symmetry enhancing your overall look.
4. Rectangular or oblong face shape
This is a longer face with no much width. It may feature a very high forehead and a narrow chin. Short and medium length wigs will shorten the length of the face. Side parts and layers are great at enhancing your look. With more fuller sides, your face width will be added.
5. Heart face shape
This shape will feature wide cheekbones and forehead with a narrow jaw line. The chin will often be small and soft. Some of the best suited wigs styles include side parted styles, chin length and other longer styles. The idea is to soften and narrow your chin while achieving balance with your prominent cheekbones.
6. Diamond face shape
This face is considered the cross between an oval and a heart shape. It features a narrow forehead and jaw line. The good thing about this shape is that it can pull off most wig styles. Experiment with what looks best on you.
7. Pear face shape
This face features a round chin, narrow forehand and a wide jaw. Styles that minimize the jaw line will work great. Having hair that is close to the forehead and temples can create an oval shape. Very long and full styles will add width to the jaw and you might want to avoid these wig styles.
write by Alva